Located in the natural park of the Vallée de Chevreuse in France, the Fonderie de Coubertin and Les Ateliers Saint-Jacques share a property housing four ateliers of master-woodcrafters, metalsmiths, founders and stone-carvers - all scholars of their respective guild and graduates of France’s legendary craftsmanship school Les Compagnons du Devoirs.
Incepted in 1953 by French patron of the Arts, Yvonne de Coubertin and sculptor Jean Bernard, the cooperative of workshops have inherited Madame de Coubertin’s castle and property in 1973, where they have built their respective ateliers and created the Coubertin foundation dedicated to foster artisanal mentorship and carry-on their master-craftsmanship legacy. Every year, each atelier is committed to train a tight selection of 40 graduates from the Compagnons du Devoirs and offer the young artisans a (prestigious) framework to refine and perfect their academic skills.
The 110 master-craftsmen of Les Ateliers Saint-Jacques and La Fonderie de Coubertin figure among the most skilled and esteemed artisans in the world, conceiving projects ranging from classical and antique works to modern architecture and contemporary design. Building on a 3,000-year legacy, they join their respective mastery and acute understanding of their materials of predilection to restore castles and government offices worldwide, fabricate architectural works for contemporary interiors and execute painstaking works of art for an international clientele of contemporary artists and designers.